Friday, October 28, 2011

Kick-off

My name is Willem Dalinghaus and I am a student at the Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. The reason why I started this blog is to get input from everybody who is interested and/or has some kind of feedback about my master thesis. My thesis is about the use of BPMN 2.0 in the healthcare domain. I will try to make a reference model for some processes which are (almost) the same for all hospitals and let either the hospitals do the specialization of the process or it is specialized by myself.


Roughly there are three aspects I will focus on. First, the technology aspect. Who makes the specialization of the processes and are there guidelines or restrictions?
Second, the science aspect. Is BPMN 2.0 the right tool and is it usable for non-modelers to adapt and read the reference models?
The third and final aspect is business. Due to my study program the focus is to improve the business aspect of the healthcare domain.

Of course I can't do this on my own. My mentor Pieter Van Gorp will help me and guide my through the world of BPMN 2.0.

Added:
To make the BPMN 2.0 models, the site www.modelworld.nl is used because of two reasons. First and most obvious reason is that I need a BPMN modeling tool. This site lets me build models and checks them at the same time, which is convenient, because my BPMN 2.0 modeling skills are not perfect (yet) ;)
Second reason is that modelworld.nl makes it possible to share a model quite easily. This will come in handy when I want to share my models with a hospital, which probably won't have a modeling tool to read/create models.

Another partner is ArchiXL. This company has the idea to make (reference) models, publish them and make them available for everybody. This way of working can be compared to the wiki's on wikipedia.org. This way the models are created by 'the crowd' and therefore up to date. The advantage is that the models are semantic (making true statements), syntactic (correct notation) and pragmatic (usable by stakeholders).

Next to these two partners one or more hospitals are needed to get information from about any process, but these hospitals are still unknown and so is the process.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Willem, perhaps you can already describe the envisioned collaboration partners (http://www.modelworld.nl, http://www.archixl.nl/, healthcare partners) as well as their role in the envisioned project?

    Regards,
    Pieter

    ReplyDelete